25 Days 'til Halloween: Exhausted

My less than a month old new job is exhausting me. I've been out the door before dawn, working long days and late nights, including weekends, almost everyday.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I don't mind at all. I knew going in, trying to establish a well oiled prop/art dept for a new daily TV show finding it's groove would sacrifice most of my time.

But, I had hoped to find some free hours to create new props for the Halloween display. Unfortunately, one night after work, it became obvious that wouldn't happen when I actually fell asleep while bent over untieing my sneakers.

Truth is, I've been worried if I would even get time to decorate the lawn at all this year.

But the October gods have smiled upon me this weekend.

Knock on coffin wood, I don't have any homework for Monday. While my luck holds, I'm going to get busy and spent today pulling props out, fixing some up, and get them staged outside the garage - all ready to go.

Tomorrow, they'll hit the lawn at dawn, like some Halloween themed D-Day invasion. Niece Devin, her dad Paul, brother Ted, and his girlfriend Leah are all planning to arrive at some point to help. Should be a fun day.

There's still time before the big night, so I haven't completely given up getting new props made. Especially the crashed UFO, since it's so close to being done.

10 comments:

  1. Dave, would rather see you keep your steady job rather than beating yourself up over halloween projects. Congratulations! All your previous inspiration is enough to keep me going this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it Dave! Fingers crosse for you that the UFO makes it out, I know that will disappoint you if it doesn't. Don't push yourself too hard though, remember to keep it fun for you, tht is the whole point here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have quite a few fans over at HauntForum.com, Dave, and I'm sure they, like me understand and appreciate the situation. You are an inspiration to us, and I'm sure whatever you create this year will be wonderful, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, I know how you feel, I have to work straight through Halloween with just 1-2 days off. Don't worry if you can't get it done you are still the best in my eyes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fell into that same rut/trap this year. I got a very mentally draining and demanding job and as a result, did not even start decorating until October. I am so grateful for a great job, but next year I am starting Sept first just to make sure I have time. I had to dig deep to get the old Halloween spirit to flare from embers to full flame but it is burning bright now. Can't wait to see your yard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you're enjoying the new gig. Have fun today with your trusty sidekick. (Or maybe you're Devin's sidekick.) :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck, Dave, but don't wear yourself ragged. Looking forward to stuff, though. I think you'll get a lot of fun photos with the army it sounds like you'll have helping set up. XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how it goes. The best jobs are always the ones that suck up all your time and exhaust you. Don't stress about it; we all understand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't risk your job, but if you enjoy your UFO invasion (and I know you do) consider cutting back on some of those fabulous Lowe details on this year's project so you can have some breathing room and enjoy the process. "No one's really going to notice in the dark anyway" (right now...that's my motto...along with "We'll spruce it up for next year"). Heck...what you have already posted look FANTABULOUS!!! With your partner in 'crime' (Devin) you'll be able to knock it out. Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see that Devin shares your sense of humor as well as your love for all things Halloween!

    Hey, Dave, do you ever provide your street address so that your fans can do a drive-by viewing of your decor??? I just moved back to SoCal and would love to see your design work in person. And ah, I'm not a stalker.... I've been following your blog [from my retail design blog] for years.

    [and you know, I could probably do a 'drive-by' test run video that's at least HALF as entertaining as Devin's walk-thru one was ;0) ]

    ReplyDelete