Pumpkin Watch 2011: Linus and Sally

I realized today, it's been almost two months since I last posted about the pumpkin patch. And sadly this might be the final update. Back in early July it was lush end to end with growing vines. There were numerous buds then that seemed to have potential but only one grew into a pumpkin - a little guy I first called Jack, but have affectionately renamed Linus.


By early August, all the vines lost steam and stopped growing. Just when I thought Linus was all alone as in the Great Pumpkin story, to my surprise I discovered he had a friend hidden under a large grouping of leaves and off-shoot vines. I've named her Sally.

Today, the entire patch is spent and naturally withering. It would be a Halloween miracle if any more pumpkins appear. Linus is looking ready to harvest and Sally is catching up turning orange.

Although both are really small, they will find a place of honor sitting together as our coffee table centerpiece this October.

8 comments:

  1. Hey, 2 homegrown pumpkins is a success in my book! I love that they are so different looking...they'll be fantastic centerpieces! Enjoy them with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad pumpkins. We tried growing some last year. It took up our entire backyard and resulted in only three pumpkins. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two pumpkins are better than no pumpkins. In an odd twist, my pumpkins looked destined to wither and die in July, but have suddenly undergone a growth spurt in the past two weeks. My fingers are crossed that at least two of carvable size will thrive until harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have more pride in my garden that it warrants. Gardening is nothing like fish stories. You've earned the right to brag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From where I'm sitting, 2 pumpkins are pretty lucky ;) I'm in Australia, and with our backwards seasons, they tend to struggle, then grow just after Halloween has passed (we smuggled a few seeds in). Last year was the first year pumpkins were available in store, but it costs ~$30 for an average sized one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey 2 pumpkins aren't bad. I tried my hand at growing them a couple of years ago, and the vines took over the whole garden and only produced 2 or 3 usable pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I also call getting 2 a success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh heavens-- a breeding pair.

    ReplyDelete